Using Henna on Hair
Henna is a traditional beauty secret which has been known by by Middle Eastern Women for thousands of years. Powdered henna may be used on hair or skin.
Natural Henna powder helps damaged hair, and makes hair full, glossy and healthy looking. Colored henna adds a translucent red stain to your hair which looks much more natural than modern hair dyes.
CAUTION: DO NOT USE HENNA ON HAIR WHICH HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY COLORED WITH CHEMICAL HAIR DYE. BE SURE ALL DYED HAIR HAS GROWN OUT AND BEEN CUT OFF BEFORE USING HENNA.
How to use Natural Powdered Henna:
Testing Hair before processing:
1. Collect some hair from your hairbrush, the drain of the shower, etc. Full strands are needed,
2. Mix up a bit of henna paste. Mix half of your sample hair into the henna mix and stir around until the hair is completely covered. Set aside the rest of the hair to compare to the hennaed hair later.
3. Leave the hair in the mix for at least 2 hours. Rinse out the lump of hair. Then set the hair aside to dry and for the henna to set for 72 hours.
4. After three days, compare the hennaed hair with the control sample that did not get henna. If you don't like the results, experiment with mixing the henna paste thicker or thinner and with leaving the hair in longer or shorter.
When you like the results, go ahead and apply the henna to your whole head of hair.
Henna Your Hair Technique (this is easier with the help of a friend)
1. Mix up a big batch of henna the same way you mixed it the way you liked it the best in the sample test.
2. Wear old clothes and drape an old towel around your shoulders. Smear Vaseline around your hairline on your skin to prevent the henna staining your skin.
3. Divide your hair into sections. Starting at the scalp on a back section, apply henna to the section so that it coats all the hair all the way from the scalp to the ends.
4. Repeat on all sections until all hair is completely covered with henna.
5. Leave on for the amount of time you determined was right according to your hair testing. Wear a disposable shower cap to keep it moist and warm and to keep from accidentally staining anything.
6. Rinse your hair with cool water until the water runs clear. Then shampoo and condition your hair as usual.